Only in New York City (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 19 17:20:01 UTC 2001

   I have a few minutes.  Here's a brief roundup from the New York Herald Tribune.  I must stress that some items are "better" than others--please use extreme caution.
   The ADS web page wasn't available today when I checked it.

ONLY IN NEW YORK CITY (continued)

   Cindy Adams, gossip columnist of the New York Post, tried to register "Only in New York."
   "Only in New York City," by Richard B, Gehman, is in THIS WEEK, NYHT, 23 January 1949, pg. 10.
   This is earlier than the popular song "Only in America."

WILLIE HOWARD & "COMES THE REVOLUTION"

   The NYHT, 13 January 1949, obituary for Willie Howard reveals that he was a dialect comedian who possibly put several slang phrases into circulation.  I'll check his file when the Performing Arts Library reopens.
   From col. 3:

   For each of his classic sketches--"The Quartet," "Mexican Presidents," "I Can Get It for You Wholesale," "After the Opera" or "French Lessons"--he had a different approach.  His famous "Rewolt" routine ("Comes the ravalution, you'll eat strawberries and like it!") furnished a favorite gag for the depression years.

SIGNS ON WALLS

   From THIS WEEK, 2 January 1949, pg. 8, col. 1:

CORN: Signs on walls are as old as the hills
(Above this photo caption are:--ed.}

YOU HAVE TRIED THE REST,
NOW TRY THE BEST.

IF WE PLEASE YOU
TELL YOUR FRIENDS.
IF NOT TELL US.

EARTH-BROWN

   From the NYHT, 29 December 1948, pg. 12, col. 5:

_"Earth-Brown"_
_Is New Color in_
_Latest Carpets_

REPUBLOCRAT WHING-DING

   The cartoon appeared in the Detroit Free Press.  From the NYHT, section II, pg. 7, col. 3:

That Republocrat Whing-Ding

PEACE OFFENSIVE

   Compare with "charm offensive."  One of many cartoon captions is the NYHT, 24 January 1949, pg. 18, cols. 5-7:  "That's What Some People Call a 'Peace Offensive.'"

QUICKIE VACATION

   I used to hear this a lot.  It was the line in the very frequent TWA ads, and one is in the NYHT, 13 January 1949, pg. 20, col. 2:

GET A NEW LEASE
ON LIVING...WITH A

_Quickie Vacation_

IN CALIFORNIA OR THE SOUTHWEST