New York Times Corrections

Wed Sep 19 21:22:10 UTC 2001

In a message dated 9/16/01 6:59:08 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

<<This is professional stuff.

    Beverly, Ron, how am I supposed to forget what happened? Why don't you
people both forget the World Trade Center? >>

I don't care whether you forget your little quarrels or not--it is not my
concern: your relationship with Safire, the City of Chicago, and so on is NOT
professional stuff. It is your own personal griping about feeling dissed. Am
I the only one who is not surprised that you equate the loss of the World
Trade Center with the TIMES' slights of you?

The professionals know what the linguistic facts are--what difference does it
make whether Safire spells Fitz Gerald the way Fitz Gerald spelled it? Stick
to the wonderful work that you do.