"Yo"

Thu Sep 20 13:00:50 UTC 2001

Weren't there pizza places in the 14th or 15th Century known as
"Shakey's" (presumably the kind of place you'd go for a morning pizza
after a night out)? I seem to remember that they had a sign on the
wall that went something like this:

Shakey's made a deal with the bank:
The bank won't make pizzas;
Shakey's won't accept checks.

Probably not their original, but I first noticed it there I thnk.

So, Beverly, tell your student to go back to his German professor and
tell him or her that us linguists are willing to make the same deal
about teaching German if they'll reciprocate.

dInIs

PS: 'Course if they'd like to continue contributing to FOLK
etymologies (my personal favorite), let them go full speed ahead.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu