TLC (tender love and care)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 20 20:08:39 UTC 2001

   I used to work for the Taxi and Limousine Commission, but that's not the TLC that I mean.
   OED has TLC (tender love and care) from 1960.  Was it first used in cookery?
   This is from Clementine Paddleford's column (a story about Pepperidge Farm) in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 14 June 1949, pg. 16, col. 8:

   It is Mrs. Rudkin's claim that every loaf of bread gets a shot of L. T. C. ("loving tender care").

   OCLC WorldCat shows a song "T. L. C. (Tender love and care)" by Jimmie Rodgers, 1957.
   Gerald Cohen's inter-library loan staff might want to get busy again and find this book on Jewish cookery, available at the University of Denver and KSU only:

WITH A TOUCH OF T.L.C.
Beth Israel Sinai Sisterhood
Racine, Wis.
1940-1949 (?)