Peach Flambe

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 20 22:33:21 UTC 2001

TLC

   Yes, "tender loving care" is what I'm used to, but these early citations are different.
   Maybe I'll write to ask if Pepperidge Farm used "LTC" in its ads.

PEACH FLAMBE

   Also the plural, Peaches Flambe.  Also, Strawberry/Strawberries Flambe.  The OED doesn't help much with flaming food datings.  I'll have to recheck my French cookbook sources.
   From Clementine Paddleford's restaurant review of the Newport (48 East Sixtieth St.), 9 July 1949, pg. 7, col. 8:

   FLAMING THE PEACH--Save room for dessert.  One thing you must try now in the time of the peach is peaches flambee.  Huge ripe specimens are poached in a peach liquid, then flamed with brandy.  A minute now to let the flames dance.  Then the spoon lifts the peach high above the hot sauce.  A pause, that like a dancer's must be eloquently timed.  As the flame gathers force the peach is brought to rest square in the middle of a plate of ice cream.  More of the syrup spooned over.  The whole show is put on right at your table.  Those little fingers of blue flame licking the gold of the peach: it holds one spellbound.

PHOTO CAPTION: Mrs. Donald Hardenbrook orders Flambee Peaches, dessert of the month, at the Newport Restaurant.