Barry, help!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 21 04:21:37 UTC 2001

At 11:26 AM -0400 9/21/01, Barnhart wrote:
>On the variations for _mountain oyster_, I found in the DA _prairie
>oyster_ (only as a variant of _prairie cocktail_, which is not a
>testicle).  _Kentucky oyster_ in DA is equated with chittlings, not
>testicles.  OEDs attests the equivalence of _mountain oyster_ and
>_prairie oyster_ in a second def.  MOA shows not examples of either
>_prairie oyster_ or _Kentucky oyster_.
>
>Regards,
>David

More graphically, the AHD4 (like other sources, including the OED, as
you mention) provides these two referents for "prairie oyster", quite
distinct from each other except presumably in their texture.   You
could even eat one and wash it down with the other.  Or not.

1. Slang A drink made from a whole raw egg yolk, Worcestershire
sauce, hot sauce, salt, and
pepper that is taken as a palliative for a hangover or as a cure for hiccups.

2. Chiefly Western U.S. The testis of a calf, cooked and served as food.