"on the may"--typo for "on the way"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Sep 22 00:08:35 UTC 2001

   My thanx to Frank Abate and Douglas Wilson for their attempts to
unravel "on the may." Since this item doesn't ring a bell with the
ads-l list, and since there is no repeat of the item in all the other
1913 baseball articles I've read, I think I see the solution: "may"
here is a typo for "way." The baseball popularity contest will be the
hottest thing  coming down the pike ("on the way") in a few weeks.

>Would anyone have any idea what "on the may" means in the quote below
>(newspaper _San Francisco Bulletin_ April 22, 1913, p.16/2-3; title:
>"Tub and Del Are Leading"):
>
>    'The baseball popularity contest is growing hotter.  It is going
>to get hotter and hotter.  It will be the hottest thing on the may in
>a few more weeks.  It can't get too hot for The Bulletin.  The more
>votes that are polled for the various players of the Pacific Coast
>League the hotter it will be.  Let the "heat" flow. ...'

---Gerald Cohen