Shop Talk of the Texas Bond Man (1960)

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Sep 22 15:17:52 UTC 2001

        "Take or pay" is quite a bit older than 1960.  From 1941:

>>A provision in said contract known as the 'take or pay' clause requires
the purchaser to take a minimum amount of gas annually and in the event such
a quantity is not taken by the purchaser, he is obligated to pay a sum
equivalent to the amount computed as the minimum requirements, but the
purchaser thereby becomes entitled to a credit upon the future delivery of
gas.<<

In re Michigan Consolidated Gas Co., Release No. 35-2532, 8 S.E.C. 550 (Jan.
30, 1941).  The term is a common one in finance.  See, e.g.,
http://www.investorwords.com/t1.htm#takeorpaycontract.  It derives from the
once-common contractual formulation that a buyer will "take and pay for" the
thing sold.  Nowadays buyers usually agree to "purchase and pay for" things.

        I remember the popular slang use of "turkey" in the 1970s to
describe an inadequate person or thing, and it's sometimes still used in the
securities field to describe a security that has performed poorly.  I wasn't
aware that it ever had such a specific meaning as that given below.  I see
from the OED Supplement (I'm traveling and don't have access to the online
version at the moment) that "turkey" was used to mean a show business flop
by 1927.

John Baker