FW: More 9.11-Related Words

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Sep 27 10:52:16 UTC 2001

From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 3:40 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: More 9.11-Related Words

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Kysilko" <pds at VISI.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 00:37

> Box cutter
>
> Although it was not hard to guess what this is, the term was new to me.  I
> know the implement as a "utility knife".  Is this regional, or am I just
> overly sheltered?

AKA "razor knife".

"Box cutter" has been current in the NYC are for probably about seven years,
if not a little more, due to its popularity as weapon among teenagers and
school students. A Lexis-Nexis search should get you plenty of hits in the
Daily News and NY Post.

As far as outside NYC goes, I couldn't say.

bkd