my your recommendation

Thu Sep 27 17:23:56 UTC 2001

In a message dated 9/27/01 1:14:21 PM, lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK writes:

<< > 1. Can one convey the notion 'the recommendation that I wrote on your
> behalf' by saying "my your recommendation'?
No.
> 2. If not, why not?
Because 'my' and 'your' are determiners, and there's only one determiner
slot in at the front of a noun phrase.  Same reason you can't say 'the your
recommendation' or 'your that recommendation'. >>

So all possessives are determiners? I find "My Alex's recommendation" worse
than "My your recommendation," and "Sue's Tom's recommendation" even worse.