VISIBILITY

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Sep 28 13:43:35 UTC 2001

--On Friday, September 28, 2001 9:19 am -0400 Barnhart
<ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM> wrote:

> The point I was bringing up has been shunted aside.
>
> HOW DO WE INCREASE THE ADS VISIBILITY AMONG TEACHERS WHO SHOULD KNOW
> ABOUT US?  Surely, it is far more than just teaching dictionaries.

I'm not sure who the teachers are that you think should know about us.  I
think the original problem was that someone's phonology instructor at New
Paltz didn't know.  If you want greater visibility among non-dialectologist
linguists, then I'd suggest more announcements of ADS activities and
resources to the Linguist List, since almost everyone reads that.

If the question is about school teachers knowing about us, I'd first ask,
why should they?  But if we wanted better school visibility, I'd say we
need more interaction with the National Council of Teachers of English.

My guess, though is that the New Paltz instructor was either a TA who's not
yet on top of things, a theoretician who has no time for 'applied' matters
such as dialectology, or someone without an active research life.  There
are always going to be such people who don't know about the professional
societies related to one's field, and so I don't see that the failure of
one instructor to know about ADS is cause for any panic.

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex