my your recommendation

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Fri Sep 28 18:57:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> Because 'my' and 'your' are determiners, and there's only one determiner
> slot in at the front of a noun phrase.  Same reason you can't say 'the your
> recommendation' or 'your that recommendation'.

The maid picked up my his towel but left my wife's her towel on the floor.

I agree with Lynn, but you can get very context-specific readings to work
if you say them just right, or set up the context just right, the way you
can make "Agnew supposes poached." to be grammatical if you set the
context up right.

-- Steve Kl.