"Pre-owned,""near miss," "s/he"

Fri Sep 28 23:08:00 UTC 2001

Righto. And the general public has no business knowing this jargon;
so we get to make up our own meanings. Good ones in this case, I
think. I could go for "It was a near miss, but the banking away from
the impending collision was so steep that lots of passengers were
hurt, some badly." Still didn't hit; still no damage to the plane.
Maybe I could go for, "The plane had to swerve so badly after the
near miss over O'Hare that it lost it's Johnson Bar and had to be
grounded." Note the "but." Implication of near miss - still no damage.

Hope ya'll know what a Johnson Bar is; hate to use technical terms.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages