Detroit, Pittsburgh get "Windy City" wrong!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 30 16:55:28 UTC 2001

   This is amazing.
   I did my "Windy City" work five years ago.  It's wrong again today.  Any good suggestions on what I should do?
   From a check of the Dow Jones database:

How the Windy City Got its Name
Gerry Volgenau, Detroit Free Press

9-30-2001
Pittsburgh Post Gazette, E-6

   Yes, Chicago is windy, especially in the loop.
   But the nickname "Windy City" dates to 1890, when Chicago was vying with New York for the 1892 World's Fair.
   "Don't pay attention to the nonsensical claims of that windy city," said Charles Dana, editor of the New York Sun, speaking of Chicago's blowhard politicians.
   "Its people," Dana wrote, couldn't build a World's Fair if they won it."
   As it turned out, Chicago did win the World's Fair, but the name stuck.