3 new (?) words

Elaine -HFB- Ashton elaine at CHAOS.WUSTL.EDU
Mon Apr 1 15:46:52 UTC 2002

James A. Landau [JJJRLandau at AOL.COM] quoth:
*>
*>Context of the message, and the choice of forum, makes it clear that it was file format and not Denial-Of-Service that was being discussed.

The vocabularies used by computing professionals and others often
use different words and terms to say the same thing. I don't think I'd ever
hear 'your file has been dossed', even with context, among professionals
but a phrase involving the word 'format' would be more likely. This is
not to say that my 15+ years as Unix sysadmin are authoritative in this
matter, but even among the newbies I think 'dossing' would be confusing
to the reader thus making it unlikely to be in popular use among
professionals. We have enough jargon and acronyms as it is without
starting to 'verb' them with new meanings. :)

e.