Robot (Austria, 1843)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 1 18:49:44 UTC 2002

AUSTRIA.
VIENNA, PRAGUE, HUNGARY, BOHEMIA, AND THE DANUBE;
GALICIA, STYRIA, MORAVIA, BUKOVINA, AND THE MILITARY FRONTIER
by J. G. Kohl
London: Chapman and Hall
1843

   I had found "polka" and "paprika" in this book, then put it on reserve for a time when I could read it slowly and thoroughly.
   It's a great book.

Pg. 289:
   Like all borderers the Serreshans serve without pay, service being, as the Austrians say, their "_robot_" or feudal service.

Pg. 441 (FROM STANISLAVOV TO STRY):
   In northern Poland, two thirds of the time and strength of the peasant is at the disposal of his lord, whilst in Galicia he has only to work for his master from sixty to one hundred days.  They call this task work "_Robbot_."  Only fifteen or twenty days in the year are exacted as Robbot from the crown peasants.  Besides the Robbot, there are many irregular tasks and services of different kinds, and tributary offerings of butter, eggs, fruit, money, &c., which are not regulated by law, but by a vague rule of custom, liable to be interpreted according to the will of a tyrannical and oppressive master.

Pg. 516 (THE KUHLANDL):
   The serfs in this part of Moravia, usually work one or two days _Robbot_, in the week, for their masters.