Bake Sale; Pavenu, Chaussee (1787)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 2 07:32:50 UTC 2002

BAKE SALE

   David Barnhart looked in all the usual places.  You have to do everything in this field for yourself.
   I searched Google for "annual bake sale."  The best I found was the "45th annual bake sale," by St. George Catholic Church, 771 Roscoe Road, Newnan, Georgia 30263.
   Two books help, but, as usual, the best one is missing from the NYPL:

Gumble, Charles W.
HOW TO RAISE MONEY;
FUND RAISING PROGRAMS FOR SOCIAL AND RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS (1942) ("Missing" on NYPL's catnyp--ed.)

Knowles, Helen K.
MAKING MONEY FOR YOUR CHURCH, LIBRARY, HOSPITAL, SOCIAL OR WELFARE ORGANIZATION (1955)

MISC.

PIGGYBACK PLANT--I did NOT see this plant--with any name at all--in L. H. Bailey's MANUAL OF CULTIVATED PLANTS (1924), but it was in a later edition.

"KIMONO" IN MENDES PINTO--The 1663 translation and the 1989 translation both use different chapter names and numbers, so I spent a lot of time on this.  I did NOT see "kimono" used in 1663.  The 1663 translator appears to have used "Turkish robe" instead.  What we have are _two_ bad translations.  The first translation is highly abridged, also.

"FRIENDLY CONFINES" AND JACK BRICKHOUSE--I did NOT see "Friendly Confines" used in Jack Brickhouse's book.  However, it certainly was used while he was broadcasting, and he surely said it.  The book unfortunately doesn't have a special chapter of announcing lingo.

NOVA--Jesse Shiedlower wants "Nova" Scotia (fish) from my files.  HAVE YOU SEEN THIS STUDIO APARTMENT LATELY??

TRAVELS THROUGH GERMANY
by Baron Riesbeck
translated by P. Maty
London: T. Cadell
three volumes
1787

   OED cites from this book about 13 times.  There wasn't too much here; the author used letter form and wrote about politics.  I didn't make any copies or extensive notes.  But there are some more antedates.

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 180:  I have spoke with some of these Italian _parvenus_...
(OED has 1802 for "parvenu"--ed.)

VOLUME THREE
Pg. 178:  The _chaussee_...
(OED has 1817 for "chaussee"--ed.)

Pg. 247:  ...bastards, _parvenus_, projectors...