Gaspacho (1817)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 4 16:57:19 UTC 2002

TRAVELS THROUGH FRANCE AND SPAIN TO MOROCCO
by Colonel Maurice Keatinge
London: Henry Colburn
1817

Pg. 34:  Notwithstanding the prevalent ideas elsewhere on the subject of French foppery, certain it is that the French soldier cannot endure the japanning, whitewashing, and plastering, which is now the prevalent taste of this army.
("Japan" as a verb--ed.)

Pg. 120:  ...our phrase, "Much cry and little wool,"--the shearing of the hog.

Pg. 123:  A few stew-holes, one for the puchero, containing some slices or rather bones of meat, fowl, bacon, and garvanzos...
(OED has 1841 for "puchero;" 1759 then 1841 for "garbanzo"--ed.)

Pg. 123:  Let it not be supposed, however, but that the Spanish cuisine has some variety.  It has its _olla_ (whence is derived probably the term _olio_, which we seem to have condescended to adopt from this language), _gaspacho_, _quisado_, _frito_, _adobado_, and so forth.  Although oil, garlic, and saffron predominate throughout, the person who could not _in due time_ assimilate his palate to these dishes would be too hard to please.  The _gaspacho_ is a comfortable travelling composition, and is used for breakfast.  It consists of bread sliced, and fried with oil, vinegar, pepper, salt, and garlic.  The whole is then made into a soup.  The bread of Madrit is unequalled for fineness and for whiteness...

(OED has 1845 for "gazpacho."  Quisado?  Frito?  Adobado?  I've got the rest of the book to read, and I've used up the one daily half-hour internet slot the NYPL allows--ed.)

MISC.

ROBOT--There are some nice Making of America "robots." The earliest seems to be 1847, so my 1843 beats that.

STRUDEL--There's an 1881 MOA "strudel" that I'll try to beat.  It's from LITTELL'S LIVING AGE, the MOA-Cornell database.  I've got a heap of German books here.

BAKE SALE--According to the web, "Anzac biscuits" were sold at a WWI Red Cross "bake sale," about 1915-1916.  But 1917 is a pretty good date; it'll take me too much time to antedate it one year.

NYPL, OFF TOPIC:  IS WILLIAM GRIMES COMING IN TODAY?  MY NAME IS BARRY POPIK, AND I'VE BEEN DOING SOME FOOD RESEARCH...