ootsie?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 8 20:11:06 UTC 2002

At 4:02 PM -0400 4/8/02, Mark A Mandel wrote:

>Funny, I didn't see that as opposite at all, on the basis of associating
>"gooey" with 'unsteady, squishy, wobbly --> queasy'. You seem to be
>associating it with 'soft and sweet'. That works too, in the abstract.
>Anne, do you have any more of the context to indicate whether the
>writer, Eyman, was invoking positive or negative connotations?

Definitely negative.  Here's the original e-mail, courtesy Nexis.
This is where I inferred the gloss 'guilty, uncomfortable' from.

larry
=============
FROM: Eyman

  TO: Karr

  DATE: Jan. 30, 2000

  On to another big topic: I'd like to begin the official "payment to
Permanent Offense" by both initiatives so that my "salary" will begin.

  My goal is from January 1, 2000 to December 31, 2000, that Permanent
Offense will distribute to Tim a total of $100,000 over and above
expense reimbursement.
  Fact is, I'm doing more and more with Permanent Offense and less
with Insignia Corp. [his fraternity watch company] and sales on our
watches showed it in 1999.

  I get ootsie even typing in the number but given the fundraising
trajectory and the potential, it's the salary I want to try for. We
can keep the disbursements steady
  throughout or start out smaller and spike it after the signatures
are submitted, whatever keeps our reserves adequate to accomplish our
goals.

  do you have thoughts on this? are you uncomfortable with it? or do
you think it's no big deal and don't care? always been a touchy
subject with me but want to make
  sure that you are OK with this.