Turron (1877)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 9 07:10:01 UTC 2002

AMONG THE SPANISH PEOPLES
by Hugh James Rose
London: Richard Bentley and Son
1877
in two volumes

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 183:
   The chief sweetmeats peculiar to Christmas, and bought alike by rich and poor (for Spain is the land of luscious sweetmeats), are the various kinds of preserved fruits, incrusted in sugar, and the famous _turron_.  This last--which is of four kinds, and may be called in English...

(This continues onto the next page, which I forgot to copy...OED has 1918 for "turron."  It is a "Spanish sweetmeat resembling nougat, made from almond and honey"...This is a two-volume book, but the NYPL gave me only volume two--ed.)

   From SPAIN (Spanish Transatlantic Line Agency, Inc.), January 1934, pg. 27:

(Advertisement--ed.)
COMPANIA RON DAIQUIRI, S.A.
   HABANA, CUBA

(Advertisement--ed.)
JAI-ALAI
SPANISH RESTAURANT
Specialty of Spanish Dishes, typical of the various Provinces, such as
   Paella a la Valencia
   Arroz con Pollo
   Bacalao a la Vizcaina
82 BANK STREET
(Corner of Bank and Bleecker Sts.)
GREENWICH VILLAGE   NEW YORK CITY

(I was looking for "paella" today.  It's a dish of Valencia, so I was looking there in the late 1800s, trying to beat 1892.  "Paella" is not included in Richard Ford's food section of his famous 1845 HAND-BOOK FOR TRAVELLERS IN SPAIN.  The Making of America databases came up empty.  How else should I spell it?  Piella?--ed.)