sky vs. skies (long post)

David Bergdahl einstein at FROGNET.NET
Wed Apr 10 23:04:04 UTC 2002

I think as far as weather goes, "skies" recognizes that everyone has his own
patch of sky and the sky may be cloudy for you but clear for me, whereas
when "patrol the sky" considers the [non-count rather than singular] sky as
a unity and the patrol goes everywhere.  So in "Fly the friendly skies" one
understands that United is flying all over the globe, and hence in different
skies, while in "The sky over Dallas is hazy" the perspective is limited to
one patch.