"Making love"

davemarc davemarc at PANIX.COM
Thu Apr 11 04:08:44 UTC 2002

Okay...here goes!

Re the song title "Make Love to Me," there are quite a number of songs with
that name.  You can get an idea of this at www.bmi.com.

Re the Jo Stafford version, she had a hit with a "Make Love to Me" in 1954.
I'm not sure of the composer(s) and the date when it was written.
http://svc403.bne025u.server-web.com/number_1_hits/1954.htm

Here are the lyrics, plus a midi file.
http://www.smickandsmodoo.com/aaa/lyrics/makelove.htm

Here's a RealPlayer audio sample of Stafford performing it.
http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurlPNM.exe?/~bb-600005/0056152_0102_
00_0002.ra

More than ten years earlier, on October 29, 1941, Helen Forrest recorded a
different song called "Make Love to Me" (Kim Gannon, Paul Mann, Stephan
Weiss).  Here's my attempt at a transcription of the rather "suggestive"
pre-1950 lyrics.

Make Love to Me (Kim Gannon, Paul Mann, Stephan Weiss)

Instead of making conversation,
Make love to me.
Make love to me, my darling,
While there is still a moon.

Must I extend an invitation?
Oh, make love to me.
Make love to me, my darling.
Tonight will end so soon.

There are moments when my lips adore addressing you.
But tonight my lips are only for caressing you.
But how about you?

Before the mood I'm in changes,
Make love to me.
Make love to me, my darling.