SIGNIFICANT OTHER: Increasingly Significant Issue

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Thu Apr 11 15:26:21 UTC 2002

Being single and in my early-30's, I and all of my "girlfriends" still
refer to our boyfriends as boyfriends. My gay friends call them partners.
Although someone in the group invariably gets too smoochy and starts saying
"my honey" or "my sweetie."

I always thought (at least the way I was taught and after making the
mistake "Er ist unserer Freund") that the Germans had a good idea in
differentiating "mein Freund" and "ein Freund von mir," but alas, my last
trip back introduced me to "mit meinem Boyfriend."

BTW, the 2000 census had "unmarried partner" listed as an option.

Katy