Pretzel/Bretzel (1843); OK sign (1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 11 18:23:36 UTC 2002

PRETZEL/BRETZEL

THE RURAL AND DOMESTIC LIFE OF GERMANY
by William Howitt
Philadelphia: Carey and Hart
1843

Pg. 43, col. 2:
   At Fastnacht, or carnival, they make what they call Fassen-bretzel, or Fasching-pratzel.  It is like a serpent with two heads rolled into a circle; which is eaten in families during that time, and is a sort of unleavened bread.

(Umlaut on "pratzel."  OED has 1856 for "pretzel."  M-W has "c. 1838."  I haven't finished this book, nor a ton of books I have here.  This is my one free day between parking tickets, and the doorman, as usual, greets me with "Not working?"--ed.)

OK SIGN

A GUIDE TO THE GAY WORLD OF FRANCE
FROM DEAUVILLE TO MONTE CARLO
VIA LE TOUQUET, BIARRITZ, VICHY, AIX-LES-BAINS AND CANNES
by Basil Woon
New York: Horace Liveright
1929

   Basil Woon wrote the excellent WHEN IT'S COCKTAIL TIME IN CUBA.  Here, in 1929, he does an extensive discussion of Madrid bars, but does NOT use the word "tapas."
   Opposite page 254 is a cartoon with the caption:  "At last!  At last I am about to eat Boullabaisse_!"  The waiter gives the "OK" sign (familiar on pizza boxes) with both hands.