SIGNIFICANT OTHER: Increasingly Significant Issue

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Apr 11 22:40:27 UTC 2002

Here's yet another euphemistic use of the term "special friend,"
along with a few others encountered in polyamorous contexts.
This explanation was kindly supplied by a co-worker:

I hear (and use) "partner" a lot, and also the plural "others" (oft.
Cap) to refer generically to an individual's multiple partners <he
should consult his Others before initiating a new relationship>.
"Friend" (with implied emphasis) or even "our special friend" is often
used euphemistically, particularly when speaking to someone who
"wouldn't understand" - polyamory is still frequently closeted.

Joanne