First names (was: SIGNIFICANT OTHER)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 12 18:22:09 UTC 2002

Peter A. McGraw wrote:
>Wow, where did you find those doctors and staffs?  I've noticed (and been
>irritated) for a long time that doctors' and dentists' offices are the
>worst offenders.  "Peter, Dr. Smith will see you now" is the norm at any
>doctor's or dentist's office I've been in for years.  It seems to be a new
>way they've come up with to be condescending.
>
>--On Friday, April 12, 2002 1:35 PM -0400 Alice Faber
><faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU> wrote:
>
>>  Now that I'm seeing more and more doctors
>>  and their office staffs, I've noticed that they all want to call me
>>  "Mrs Faber".

I see two doctors and one dentist on a regular basis, here in
Connecticut. The only people who ever call me by my first name are
the ones calling me out from the waiting room. All the ones who
actually treat me call me Mrs Faber the first time out, and mostly
remember afterwards to use "Ms". Both doctors are women, and the
rheumatologist has some pretty overt feminist leanings (from what she
said, being a woman in med school in the early 70s was a radicalizing
experience).

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963