rhinoglottophilia?

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Apr 12 21:43:22 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Benjamin Fortson wrote:

#Has anyone heard "nowadays" pronounced "now at ndays" (@ = schwa), i.e. with
#an intrusive nasal? I hear this regularly from my girlfriend's
#10-year-old, but don't know if it's some innovation on his part or some
#regionalism. (Reminiscent of nightiNgale, Old English nihte-gala, et alia
#similia).

Hm! I hadn't realized "nightingale" was part of that pattern. The ones
I've particularly noticed insert n in final - at dZ@r:
        passenger < passage
        messenger < message
        porringer < porridge
        wharfinger < wharfage

It was probably J.R.R. Tolkien that first drew my attention to these,
with the opening of one of the poems in _Adventures of Tom Bombadil_:
        There was a merry mariner,
        a messenger, a passenger...

I haven't confirmed any other examples of this particular insertion.
Does anyone know any more?

-- Mark A. Mandel