rhinoglottophilia?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 12 22:21:24 UTC 2002

At 6:13 PM -0400 4/12/02, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>At 11:54 AM 4/12/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>At 11:38 AM -0400 4/12/02, Benjamin Fortson wrote:
>>>Has anyone heard "nowadays" pronounced "now at ndays" (@ = schwa), i.e. with
>>>an intrusive nasal? I hear this regularly from my girlfriend's
>>>10-year-old, but don't know if it's some innovation on his part or some
>>>regionalism. (Reminiscent of nightiNgale, Old English nihte-gala, et alia
>>>similia).
>>>
>>>Ben
>>
>>Never heard it, but I'd also consider "now and then" (i.e. now 'n'
>>then) as another suspect.  The a- morpheme in "nowadays" is now
>>opaque, so it's ripe for reanalysis.  Your girlfriend's 10-year-old
>>has some adult company--15 cites on google, including e.g.
>>
>>I will say that nowandays, movies are getting dumber and dumber each month!
>
>Do you think they're thinking "now-in-days"?  Sort of like "day in
>age"?  (Sorry, Steve!)

There's a whole bunch of these 'n' expressions that move from one
category to the other, so I'd guess some of these people are thinking
"now in days", some "now and days", and some are probably thinking
some neutralized split-the-diff value between them.  My "X 'n' Y"
folder includes (some entries from our earlier threads, some from the
ADS talk on "spitten/spittin'/spit 'n' image" I gave a while back):

"hand and glove" > "hand in glove"
"clean shavin"
"puss in/and boots"
"foot in mouth disease"  (not always jocularly intended)
"kitten caboodle"
"black and red fish"
"tongue and cheek"
"(at one's) beckon call"
"tender lovin'/love and care"
"Chip and Dale furniture" (I know, something else going on here)
and now
"in this day in age"