First names (was: SIGNIFICANT OTHER)

Sat Apr 13 11:32:49 UTC 2002

>Since most such stories are hearsay, I think it behooves me to tell
>one I know for a fact.

On of my PhD classmates form Wisconsin,  a semisouthern yokel like
me, left our studies with some desire to have his new-found status
held in some regard. When he reached the institution of his first
employment (as it would happen, a semisouthern site itself), he
promptly put his name in the local telephone directory as "Dr.
William J. Smith" (not his real name, so don't go lookin).

It did, in fact, happen that about 3:00 AM, no more than  a few
months after moving, that a local, urgent voice entreated "Dr. Smith"
to come quick since "the missus was a-having a baby."

The next issue of the phone book listed a Mr. Smith at the same address.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics