'America's Oldest Brewery'

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Apr 13 11:35:26 UTC 2002

>But you have had training in German.  In the US, we pronounce the first
>syllable as the word 'you', hence something like [juNliN],  with [i] in
>the latter syllable, rhyming with 'seen', but shorter. Naturally, when I
>lived in Germany, I pronounced umlaut and the <L> differently.  BTW, it's
>not umlaut that gives away most Americans who speak good German, it's the
>pronunciation of <L>.

We know the name Yuengling very well in SW PA too. I just polished off a
case of Yuengling's Traditional Lager, which I recommend. I call it
/jyNlIN/ and everybody understands and nobody laughs, but I suspect more
people say /juNlIN/.

Now please let us in on how to say German "L" to fool the Germans!

-- Doug Wilson