Ravioli, Poulet, Canape, Simpatico, Ooh-la-la! (1839)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 14 14:51:58 UTC 2002

At 10:07 PM -0400 4/13/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>VOLUME ONE
>Pg. 16:  Commend me, also, to a French cuisine with its soup, _sans_
>pepper, its cutlets _a la minute_, and its _poulet au jus_, its
>_cafe a la creme_, and its dessert.  But defend me from the slamming
>of French doors, and the shaking of French windows...
>(OED has 1801, then 1849 for "French window."  OED has 1923 for
>"French door," adding that it is the same as "French window."  This
>is FWIW--ed.)

It's not obvious that these "French doors" are anything other than
doors that are French, and in particular one-piece affairs rather
than the bikini-style doors the current (<1923?) lexical item denotes.

larry