Come off the money (= get off the dime?)

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Apr 16 13:21:45 UTC 2002

> >     Here I sit,
> >     broken-hearted
> >     paid my dime
> >     and only farted

Isn't the third line normally "had a shit"?

> I think that "come off the money" is actually a very badly pronounced way of
> saying:
> "come up with the money".

Seems unlikely to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but "come off the
money" looks to me to mean literally what it means--you've been sitting
on a pile of cash all the time (like the proverbial dragon guarding
treasure) and then you quit sitting on it and start spending it. You come
off it, in other words. (Sorry if someone else wrote in with this
already--I've been off email for a few days.)

Ben