basque/Basque/bask

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Apr 17 21:03:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Johnson, Ellen wrote:

#        Basque with back vowel sounds somewhat affected/
#hypercorrect to me, an attempt at hispanization to be more correct,
#when the truly politically correct term would be Euskera.

But incomprehensible to most people. Shall we also speak, in English, of
Nihongo, Magya'r, Franc,ais, and Espan~ol?

#reminds me of my favorite verse from this rhyme:

Yes! There's a lovely picture book of it, and the rhyme has a tune. I
never see the book or the rhyme without thinking of it as sung.

-- Mark A. Mandel, The Filker With No Nickname
     http://world.std.com/~mam/filk.html