Source of Indian Anecdote

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Apr 17 22:31:14 UTC 2002

If memory serves, it's from the title page of "1066 And All That" by W.C.
Sellar and R.J. Yeatman, 1930, Methuen & Co., Ltd.

One of the authors was listed as "Failed M.A., Oxon." Unfortunately, I can't
find my old copy. I have a 1993 edition, but that doesn't include the
original title page so I can't verify any of this.

The book is hilarious, by the way. I highly recommend it. Great stuff like,
"Henry IV, A Split King [...] Finding, however, that he was not memorable,
he very pathetically abdicated in favor of Henry IV, Part II" and "Whenever
[Richard I] returned to England he always set out again immediately for the
Mediterranean and was therefore known as Richard Gare de Lyon."