Plattdeutsch, Moselle Wine, Strudel=Whirlpool (1677)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 21 03:49:31 UTC 2002

AN ACCOUNT OF SEVERAL TRAVELS THROUGH A GREAT PART OF GERMANY
by Edward Brown
London: Benjamin Tooke
1677
(Early English Books Online)

Pg. 45:  ...and after a handsome supper, with plenty of excellent Moselle Wine, we went to bed between two feather-beds.
(OED has 1687 for "Moselle wine"--ed.)

Pg. 65:  A little below this are two dangerous passages in the River; the one called Strudel, where the River running among vast Rocks, some under water and some above, are broken with great force...
("Strudel" means "whirlpool."  A nice drawing of the famous "Strudel" in the Danube River is shown--ed.)

Pg. 144:  I had now left the _pure German language_ behind me, for at _Magdeburg_ comes another kind of _German_, called Plat-Deutsch, Broad Dutch, Nidersachsitche, or the _Language of Lower Saxony_...
(OED has 1814 for "Plattdeutsch"--ed.)