Question: Rope-A-Dope Strategy

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Apr 21 17:06:41 UTC 2002

The term dates to the 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" between Muhammed Ali and
George Foreman. Ali spent the early rounds against the ropes in a defensive
posture, taking a series of blows from Foreman. After Foreman had tired
himself out, Ali went on the offensive and beat the exhausted Foreman. It
wasn't a pretty victory or a fan-pleasing strategy, but it was effective. So
to employ the "rope-a-dope" strategy is to feign being weak and on the
defensive, like a dopey boxer who is on the ropes, in hopes your opponent
will exhaust himself in the early going.

Your boxing example has it backwards. It's the guy on the ropes who is
employing the "rope-a-dope," not the other way around. Neither or your
examples accurately describes the strategy as Ali employed it (or as most
people use the term).

Ali coined the term as far as I (and the OED) can tell.