Iced Cream (1757)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 22 20:47:09 UTC 2002

TRAVELS THROUGH GERMANY, BOHEMIA, HUNGARY, SWTIZERLAND, ITALY AND LORRAIN
by John George Keysler
London: A. Linde
1757

   This is the book from which I also got "nostalgia" and "pasta."  Volume two is 1757.  It's one of our earliest for "ice(d) cream."

Pg. 21:  At their entrance into the conclave, those who follow them into the anti-chamber are regaled with iced cream, lemonade and other refreshments.

Pg. 32:  ...so that it is a common saying at _Rome_, "None but dogs, ideots, and _Frenchmen_ walk the streets in day-time."  The heat of the climate makes the _Romans_ passionately fond of spring-water, iced and cooling liquors; so that great quantities of snow and ice, which are fetched from the mountains and preserved in ice-houses, are consumed there.