motoring

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Apr 23 17:15:18 UTC 2002

RHHDAS records "to motor," meaning to go at great speed, to travel very
fast, as in use since 1980, with citations well into the 1990s. "Motor" is
also used to mean to leave, to depart (especially by car), as in "let's
motor" or "I've got to motor." And I've frequently encountered and used
these senses in the wild. These are very different than the original sense
of "motoring" meaning driving in general, which I would agree is moribund.