Query: "book" = leave, run away (Mea culpa)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Aug 1 15:05:49 UTC 2002

   Oops. Dave Wilton is right. When I checked RHHDAS I saw two
meanings of "boogie" (verb) at the end of the page and somehow
assumed that was the full entry. The next page has meaning #3, with
the relevant information. Meaning: "to get going, get busy, get to
work, do business; to go, esp. in a hurry." E.g. 1974 "Let's get out
of here. Let's boogie." And 1980: "There are a lot of people who've
never been through a hurricane...The word is--boogie on out."

    Evidently when "boogie" (go in a hurry) was shortened to just
"boog," it was misunderstood by most speakers to be "book" and then
used in this latter variant.

Gerald Cohen