Dingbats (was: Re: Reuben & Rachel)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Aug 1 17:29:52 UTC 2002

To my surprise I found "Wingdings" in my list of fonts in Word for the Mac
when I checked just now, and not "Dingbats."  But in an earlier version I
used on my previous Mac, there was a font called Zapf Dingbats, which was
just what you describe.  In fact, I still use the Zapf Dingbats check mark
in a document I've had for quite awhile, and it's still labeled as such,
even though the only Zapf font that appears in the pull-down list is Zapf
Chancery.

Peter Mc.

--On Thursday, August 1, 2002 11:21 AM +0000 "James A. Landau"
<JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:

> Here's a technical term I never met before---or maybe it's a nonce usage.
> "dingbat".
> Quotation is "The next 4096 codes are for punctuation, mathematical
> operators, technical symbols, shapes, patterns, and even dingbats
> (decorative characters that can represent religious symbols, smiling
> faces, chess pieces, and so on)."  A set of such characters is available
> under Windows as the font called "Wingdings".

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu