Juicy Lucy burger (MN); Wet Fries; Beggo & Beggel; Jo Jo Potatoes Mystery

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 2 02:47:27 UTC 2002

JUICY LUCY--This is a cheeseburger, but with the cheese INSIDE the burger.
It appears to be the product of Matt's Bar, 3500 Cedar Avenue, Minneapolis,
MN, but several other places in that town also offer it.  Not recorded in
Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK or in DARE.

WET FRIES--French fries with gravy.  About 70 Google hits, and in the
newsgroups since 1992 (Kooky's, Miramar Road, San Diego, CA).  Fouund in a
1998 menu in the LAPL menu collection for The Hat in Pasadena.  Not recorded
in Mariani's tome.

BEGGO--A bagel with egg.  Seen on Google.
BEGGEL--A bagel with egg.  From the menu of the East Coast Bagel Co., 1998,
on the LAPL online menu collection.
   Neither Beggo nor Beggel appear to be very popular so far, but you never
know.

TALTS SANDWICH--Turkey, Avocado, Lettuce, Tomato and Sprouts.  From the Cafe
Express, 135 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA, 1998 menu in the LAPL
menu collection.

TCT--Oven roasted turkey, Swiss cheese, tomato, lettuce, Dijon-Mayo
dressing..  From the Creative Gourmet, West Los Angeles, 1996 menu in the
LAPL menu collection.  See "Creative Gourmet" on Google.

"JOJO POTATOES" MYSTERY
   "Jo Jo Potatoes" is not in DARE or John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN
FOOD & DRINK.  There are 123 "Jo Jo" Google hits, and 84 "JoJo" hits.
   I went to Bonnie Slotnick cookbooks in the Village.  Bonnie was helpful
when I asked her about the spaghetti sauce of Italian streetwalkers.
However, I couldn't find "jojo potatoes" in any book in the store.
   I e-mailed several potato boards.  One woman from the U.S. Potato Board
replied.  She'd never heard of "jojo" potatoes!
   I didn't find a single "jojo potatoes" on any menu in the LAPL collection.
   The item appears to be regional, especially with these states:  Oregon,
Washington, Montana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Wyoming, South Dakota, some Ohio.
Most hits appear to be in Oregon, Washington, and Minnesota.
   Where did it start?  Why the name?
   I'm working on it.