pass out

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Aug 2 16:53:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Donald M Lance wrote:

#> ....... Maybe the crew member talking to the dispatcher is inferring
#> "passed out, unconscious" from a less explicit message from the
#> conductor, but s/he is reporting it as a fact.
#
#My guess is that the decision-maker assumed 'passed out' = 'fainted', not
#something like a heart attack.

Yes, but that doesn't explain the original sentence that bothered me:

  It is unclear whether the crew realized that Allen was
  unconscious when they reported that he had "passed out."

"Faint" is just another synonym in the set.

-- Mark A. Mandel