Cliquer

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 2 20:54:08 UTC 2002

French or Franglais, not English, but maybe someone here would be interested:

I just received a pornspam in French (that's nothing, I got an e-mail from a
French polling outfit a few days before the recent election in France asking
me how I was going to vote).  What is of interest is the following text:

      Inscrivez-vous gratuitement en cliquant ici :

      Pour ne plus être contacté, cliquez ici :

which implies that in French the verb "to click on a mouse button" is
"cliquer".

Is that a real French verb?  Or is it Franglais?

I just checked MWCD10 which says that in English the verb "to click" is known
from 1581 and its etymology is "prob. imit.".