Happy Hour; Amber Alert; Koming; Dialect Books

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 2 22:33:43 UTC 2002

KOMING

   KOMING is included in Peter Tamony's word list.  Check it on Google, and
then contact the University of Missouri-Columbia (West Historical Manuscript
Collection) to see what Tamony collected on the subject.

HAPPY HOUR

I don't have happy hours.
--"Since I Don't Have You" (song)

   OED has "happy hour" from 1961.  The above song, by the Skyliners, is from
1958?
   From the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, "ABC prime drag on DIsney," 2 August 2002,
pg. 37, col. 4:

   Lyne's launching a nightly hour of family shows at 8 p.m., dubbed "Happy
Hour," and has gotten some early buzz with a new comedy starring John RItter
called "8 Simple Rules."

(Television is trying to get the whole family to drink at 8 p.m.??--ed.)

AMBER ALERT

   Add this to our "amber" discussion.  "Amber Alert" seems related to "Red
Alert," but see below.
   From the NEW YORK POST, "Lovers' lane rape, kidnap ordeal," 2 August 2002,
pg. 4, col. 3:

   Cops launched a manhunt throughout southern (Col. 4--ed.) California.
They also used the "Amber Alert" system, putting out the word on southern
California TV and radio stations and electronic freeway signs.
   The system, designed to alert the public to a missing child, is named for
Amber Hagerman, a 9-year-old who was kidnapped in 1996 and found dead in
Arlington, Texas.

(MAYBE OFF TOPIC--PLEASE BE TOLERANT!:  I've read several of Friday's
newspapers.  Why did all of them have names and photographs of the minors who
were sexually abused?  Is there a better way to have this haunt them for the
rest of their lives?  I thought that New York State had a law against this,
maybe something with a Latin name?--ed.)

DIALECT BOOKS

   I have a "dialect" alert with Amazon.com.  It doesn't come up very often,
but I just got one with these two new books.

Greetings from Amazon.com Alerts. As you requested, we're notifying you of
new releases matching the following criteria:           Books with "dialects"
in the Subject.
          [Formats: audiobook, hardcover, paperback]
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195136454/ref=s_e9">The Syntax of Italian Dialects (Oxford Studies in Comparative Syntax)</A>
by Christina Tortora (Editor) Publication date: August 2002
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Binding:Hardcover
Subjects: Italian language; Dialects; Syntax
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195136454/ref=s_e9">Click here for more information</A>

Our Price: $75.00

<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0866982884/ref=s_e9">Words Derived from Old Norse in Early Middle English: Studies in the
Vocabulary of the South-West Midland Texts (Medieval & Renaissance Texts &
studi</A>
by Richard Dance Publication date: August 2002
Publisher: Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies
Binding:Hardcover
Subjects: English language; Middle English, 1100-1500; Foreign words and
phrases