Bakeapple (Was: Re: Poutine...et al. (1985)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Aug 5 16:25:01 UTC 2002

This compendium of Canadian food items, many from eastern Canada, makes me
think of a berry that grows in Labrador (and possibly also in Newfoundland)
called the bakeapple.  It's found on menus in Labrador, you can buy
bakeapple preserves there, and there's a town on the south coast that even
has an annual bakeapple festival.  It looks something like a yellow-orange
raspberry but is very sour.  An early (1790s) cite in the OED attributes
the name to a similarity in taste to baked apples, but I can't see the
slightest resemblance in either appearance or taste. I wonder if folk
etymology might have been at work on a local Inuit or Indian word.  Anybody
know?

Peter Mc.

--On Sunday, August 4, 2002 1:52 AM +0000 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> ACROSS THE TABLE:
> AN INDULGENT LOOK AT FOOD IN CANADA
> by Cynthia Berney Wine
> Scarborough, Ontario: Prentice-Hall Canada, Inc.
> 1985

(etc.)

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR