Dreidle & Latkes (1916)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 5 23:37:26 UTC 2002

In a message dated 08/05/2002 4:57:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>    My previous "dreidel" citation was 1920.  Merriam-Webster has 1926 and
OED
> has 1934.
>     OED and Merriam-Webster have 1927 for "latkes."
>     From THE JEWISH CHILD, 22 December 1916, pg. 4 (it reads page 2, but it
> follows page 3):
>
>  (ILLUSTRATION CAPTION--ed.)
>  A CHANUKAH DREIDLE
>
>  (Col. 1--ed.)
>     "When I was a little boy in Russia," began Grandpa, just as she was
> hoping he would, "we didn't have such toy menorahs.  The Chanukah toy we
> played with was the 'dreidle,' which is a kind of top."
>  (Long, four-paragraph explanation follows--ed.)
>
>  (Col. 2--ed.)
>     Out would come our "dreidlach"--and the candy and fruit and pieces of
> honeycake we had brought from home or else bought (Col. 3--ed.) for our "
> Chanukah gelt"!

for "dreidle" see the Jewish Encyclopedia, volume V (1903) article "Games and
Sports" page 565 column 1.  Dreidles are described in detail (including the 4
Hebrew letters written on dreidles of the Galut) and there is a line drawing
of a dreidle, labelled "Hanukkah "Trendel," or Tee-Totum".  The text reads
"In Germany, Austria, and Poland "trendel" (from the German "Drehen") is
still in vogue, being played with a revolving die..."

I could not find "latkes" but I did find in volume IV (1903) page 257 column
2 article "Cookery" the following:  The Haman Tash, a kind of a turnover
filled with honey and black poppy-seed, is eaton on the Feast of Purim, but
probably has no special meaning."

     - James A. Landau