Fishwives

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 6 11:10:52 UTC 2002

The woman who brought up this subject has since written the following to me:

  Of course I noticed also the 'prima donna' and knew their
  meaning and that are terms used to describe a typical behaviour.
  I agree with every thing you say in this respect. But, it is also
  true that it is to women, most of times, to whom are assigned
  'non-proper' or whimsical conducts that are stereotyped. Am I
  wrong?

  However, it is also said that when a woman is a real 'personage',
  she is not a lady any more, she is 'menlike', they say 'she is
  much a man' and so, not a woman to go after, to be considered;
  not a real lady anymore. He is called as well a 'lesbian'. These
  facts have a lot to say.

  I am not saying, please also note, you are any sort of 'macho'
  (mexican expression), of misogynist, no, not at all, I just wanted to
  point out that in our daily language we use expressions we are not
  very well aware of their content or of their implications. They are
  all so natural, they have been in use for such a long time... etc.
  And, for some reason, I did not like you using the expression 'fishwife'.
  I am behaving like a 'prima donna', I know.