mailring (was Greetings!)

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Thu Aug 8 23:51:46 UTC 2002

At 01:38 PM 8/8/2002 -0400, Alice Faber wrote:
>Dave Wilton said:
>>  > "Mailring"--a new term to me!  Has anyone else heard it?
>
>This sounds more like an email version of the family circular letters
>(predecessor of the holiday letter?). Mom writes a newsy letter to
>daughter #1, who adds a newsy letter and forwards it and Mom's letter
>to her sister (daughter #2), and so forth. I'm not sure the term
>makes sense for a mailing list, since the information is transmitted
>in parallel rather than serially.

My father's sibs and nieces, who grew up in central WI, carried on one of
these for many years, calling it their "round robin".

And FWIW, this Minnesotan has not previously encountered "mailring".  If I
had to guess, I suppose I'd apply it to a "poor man's listserv" in which
all participants keep a group or distribution list in their address books,
or just keep replying "to all".

And Beverly, how did you smoke out the Minnesotan?  I re-read Maia's
message several times and could not detect an accent.
*
*
*
Ok, that was meant to be a joke, but ...  One of the problems Maia may run
into if she continues self-directed study in linguistics for the two or
three years until grad school is what to do about phonetics/phonology.  One
can stare at that blasted trapezoid or, even worse, sonograms without
learning as much as one would like to.  A textbook with accompanying tapes
or CDs would be nice (Are their any?), but I suspect (as one who has never
had one) that there is no substitute for a good class.

  Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
  pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA