Eight ball (used to be "auction block")

Millie Webb millie-webb at CHARTER.NET
Fri Aug 9 04:35:42 UTC 2002

> I think this was the same man who told me the reason "behind the eight
ball"
> meant trouble was because the eight-ball was black.  (Although neither of
us
> played pool, we frequently found ourselves near the pool table in the
> dayroom.)

Sorry, I have never heard anything like that as a reason that "behind the
eight ball" means "in trouble".  If you have ever played eight ball (which I
have played in several European countries as well, so it is not strictly
American at this point in time, even if it was however long ago), you will
immediately understand it to mean "in a bad position".  If it is your turn
in "eight ball", and the cue ball (A) is near the eight ball (B), while
anything you need to aim at (C) is in a straight line with the former two
(A-B-C), then you cannot possibly hit one of your own balls (or even see it)
without hitting the eight ball first, and risking knocking it into a
"pocket" (hole).  If you knock the eight ball into a pocket before you have
cleared the table of all your own balls (either solids or stripes), then you
lose.

I have not given it much thought before, but it makes perfect sense that the
eight ball is black too.  All the other balls are paired by color: say, a
solid red ball, and a white ball with a red stripe; and so on.  The eight
ball is the odd ball out (with no pair), and black is technically
"achromatic" and not a color at all.  This seems to be the likely source of
its being traditionally black.  Although I must admit I never really thought
it through before.  And I have spent way too much time around a pool table
at various points in my life.  ;-)   ("Trouble!  Right here in River City.
That's 'Trouble' with a capital 'T', and that rhymes with 'P' and that
stands for "Pool"....)

So, I hope that isn't such a horrid digression as to earn me flames and
smoke... Millie