"soda" in Minneapolis

M M language_scholar at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 9 21:57:47 UTC 2002

No, Minneapolis is not rural at all.  Word trends seem
to stick more in the rural areas than in the
metropolitan areas, so I thought that mentioning that
I'm in a more rural area would make the point
stronger.

Yes, I am sure that the vast majority of these people
are natives because I know or at least recognize them
or I see where they are from on their checks.

There is no specific group that says "soda."  We have
many Mexican immigrants in our town who generally say
"soda", but there are others of all genders, ages,
races, and social classes.  I don't know about their
education, however.

"Soft Drinks" is written on the menu, and the
dispensing machine only has the brand names of the
beverages.

Maia